Gateway to Europe
According to NationMaster.com, Belgium ranks #1 in the world in three categories:
- Highest Tax, as the percentage of gross earnings given up in tax – 55.6 %
- Most divorces per 100 marriages – 59.8 divorces per 100 marriages
- Percentage of school going children who do not like going to school – 42%
According to the Gatestone Institute, Brussels ranks #1 in Europe:
- For the number of Muslims. With 300,000, the “Capital of Europe” is now the most Islamic city in Europe.
- The growth of the Muslim population has made Brussels one of the most dangerous cities in Europe, according to ZDF German television.
According to Operation World, Belgium is a country in spiritual crises.
- Atheists and the non-religious now number 31%. Only 48% saw themselves as Catholic. Nationally, only 7% attend mass, and as low as 1% in some parts of Flanders and less than 0.5% in some Walloon cities.
- The Church faces five major crises: declining commitment, waning influence, a severe lack of students in seminaries, mass defections and, most of all, the pedophilia scandals that have destroyed Catholicism’s reputation.
- The number of priests today is less than half that of 1960; their average age is over 65. The charismatic movement brought some new life but remains quite small.
- 2200 out of 2,500 cities in Belgium do not have an evangelical church.
According to Breweries of Europe.org and Visit Belgium.com, Belgium:
- With less than 12,000 square miles, is host to over 170 breweries which employ over 5000 people, including Trappist monks.
- Produces over 450 varieties of Belgian beer. Belgium has enjoyed an unparalleled reputation for specialty beers since the Middle Ages.
According to the NATO.int
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization headquarters is located in Brussels, Belgium.
- There are 28 member countries that are represented by diplomatic and military staff in Belgium to uphold world security.
- The Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Powers in Europe (SHAPE) is one of NATO’s two strategic military commands and is located at near the Belgian city of Mons.
According to Belgium.be, here is a summary of figures about the City of Brussels:
- One national and one European capital
- 171,459 inhabitants with a population density of 5062,5 habitants / km2
- 163 nationalities
- 350,000 commuters each day
- 650 demonstrations a year
- 79 French-speaking schools and 11 Dutch-speaking schools
- 5 museums and 2 archaeological sites, 17 libraries and 1 center for youth literature
- 4 sports stadiums, 2 sports centers, 1 sports and cultural center, 7 sporting halls, 13 multifunctional playing fields, 1 nautical center and 3 swimming pools
According to Times of Israel, anti-Semitism is becoming an alarming problem in Europe.
- In France, 40 percent of approximately 1,200 Jews surveyed said they avoided wearing Jewish items in public.
- In Belgium, 36 percent said they avoided “Jewish events or sites” because of safety concerns and they avoid public expressions of faith due to anti-Semitism.
- Twenty-seven percent of respondents said that Muslims were the main cause of the increase in anti-Semitism, while 22 percent said left-wing views were to blame, and 19 percent pointed to right-wing views.
According to World Net Daily, anti-Semitism is causing some Jews to emigrate.
- On the physical level, there are bad things going on, especially one would say in Europe. France is the country that right now is seeing most of the physical assaults against Jews.
- There are French Jews today leaving the country – they feel insecure. They’re not leaving in large numbers, but they are leaving.
- Some are leaving in Belgium and the Netherlands where things are uneasy.
According to the Gatestone Institute, Islam is on the rise in Europe.
- In Amsterdam, Brussels and Marseilles between 20 and 25 percent of the population is now estimated to be Muslim.
- Europe’s Muslim population currently is growing by more than one million each year. If current trends continue, the Muslim population of Europe will nearly double by 2015, while the non-Muslim population will shrink by 3.5 percent.